Ever heard of positive affirmation?
Widely practised around the world, positive affirmation is a tool used to develop positive thinking by incorporating certain statements in our everyday lives.
You repeat the statements every single day until it shapes your way of thinking.
Quite a number of my friends have used this method for many, many years and so I thought it wouldn’t hurt me to try it as well.
While coming up with some tailor-made positive statements for myself, something crossed my mind — if Prime Minister Najib Razak had positive affirmations, what would they be?
Here’s what I came up with.
1. I call out to my higher power to show me the error of my ways, give me guidance so I do not repeat my mistakes, and the right words so that I can talk my way out of this mess. All is well.
2. Sometimes I think of people and their problems and I feel sad. Then I smile and think, hey, better them than me. Alhamdulillah, God loves me. All is well.
3. I will say no to bribery, but I must remember that it is considered rude to turn down other peoples’ hospitality. I am politeness. All is well.
4. On the journey of life I should stop and smell the roses — and not forget to maximise all opportunities that come my way. That is how I appreciate life. All is well.
5. I can feel bad about denying people the lives they deserve or I can be thankful that my family and I are living a good life. I choose to think positive. All is well.
6. If I speak to people calmly and clearly, I can articulate my position without having to answer all the questions asked of me. All is well.
7. I can forgive those who slight me and forget their transgressions. But that doesn’t mean I have to feel guilty about locking them up behind bars. I choose to set myself free from guilt. All is well.
8. Keeping funds for a rainy day is simply planning for the future. I am wisdom. All is well.
9. Sometimes I reflect on all the projects I endorsed. Then I look at my Cabinet and think about the people who count on me. I say to myself, “It is better that I let their dreams come true than be selfish. I am awesomeness. All is well.
10. If I can have my cake and share the crumbs with the rest of the population, I should not feel so guilty. I am kindness. All is well.
11. I am shaped by my own thoughts, not what others think of me. I am confidence. All is well.
12. I should live each day as if it is to be my last. If my time is up, I will leave, taking everything that is mine. I am resourcefulness. All is well.
13. There’s nothing wrong with having morons work under you. After all, it takes a superior being to offer guidance to a lower being. I am wisdom. All is well.
14. When someone hurts me, forgiveness is cheaper than a lawsuit. But not nearly as gratifying as payback. I am fairness. All is well.
15. Lavish spending should be classified as a domestic issue. As such, it is not an actual problem. I am clarity. All is well.
16. What my citizens don’t know about where their tax dollars go is not going to kill me. Ignorance is bliss. All is well.
Perhaps it’s time for all of us start constructing our own affirmations.
All is well.